Monday, March 15, 2010

Beets, Onion & Peppers- oh my!



My seeds are paid for and are en route from Iowa. I purchased heirloom seeds from the Seed Savers Exchange, a company founded in 1975. Their mission sums up their work like so: "Seed Savers' mission is to save the world's diverse but endangered garden heritage for future generations." Need I say more?

Here's a run down of the goods coming my way:

1) Early Blood Turnip (Beets)
2) Borehanna, Yellow (Onions)
3) Ancho Gigantea (Peppers)
4) Cherokee Purple (Tomatoes)
5) Cherry Roma (Cherry Tomatoes)

Saturday I continued with my reading of the Square Foot Gardening book. I mapped out my plot and now know that I have some extra room. In addition to the crops above, I'll have potatoes and spinach. Maybe one other crop as well.

Here's my square foot garden as I see it:

We are experiencing some beautiful weather here in St. Paul. It was 61 degrees fahrenheit yesterday. 99.5% of the snow is melted. This evening, I walked over to my plot to see how the garden looks not blanketed in snow. I'm happy to report that there is some action! Wood chips have been delivered. These will pave the aisles between the plots. I also discovered that my fellow farmers at the Oxford-Dayton Urban Farm employ the square foot gardening method too!




My seeds should arrive later this week. I intend to have the appropriate seeds started indoors before the Wisconsin Badgers Basketball team makes it to the Sweet Sixteen of the NCAA tourney. The others will go right in the ground when the time is right...I imagine after the final four sometime.

2 comments:

  1. Cook! You inspired me to buy Square Foot Gardening! I can't wait to see you next month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting- you're going to do some good cooking this summer!

    ReplyDelete