Sunday, April 11, 2010

Have box, will garden.


Last weekend, this garden took an integral step: the raised-bed garden box was constructed! Mel Bartholomew's method was not followed to a "t", but much fun was had and now I've got a box in which I will grow my vegetables.

I planned to do the project at my Dad's farm since he has all of the necessary tools and a work shop. The things are not available in my city apartment. Bob, my Dad and I ventured to the New Glarus Lumber Yard. New Glarus is "America's Little Switzerland" and is set in the rolling hills of southern WI. This is the part of WI where the glacier did not go. The lumberman cut the boards and the lathe to size for us. This lumberyard is a traditional lumberyard and is a far-cry from Menard's or Home Depot. The next day we finalized the construction plans and went to work.



We constructed two 4x4 beds out of 1" x 6" boards. The only particular thing about the wood you use is that it must be untreated. If it is treated, you may have chemicals leach into your plants...this you do not want. I got to use a wood chisel for the first time and that was pretty exciting. It was quite satisfying to construct these boxes myself and see the finished product. Next weekend, Bob & I will actually construct the boxes and fill them with dirt. Upon my return to St. Paul I saw the my peppers had sprouted! Now all of my seedlings are in full force. ur plot assignments at the garden have been made and I lucked out with a great plot.




Yesterday was a garden workday. About 12 of us gardeners arrived at the gardens at 9 AM ready to work. Our mission: put woodchips down on the paths in between the gardens. We also raked leaves and readied the garden for the compost to be delivered in the next week or so. Chives were in full force in many of the plots.



2 comments:

  1. Cook! I like you in safety glasses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hot damn this is great! Good luck with the sprouts! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete